Re: Why I think FC3 sucks!

On Thursday 27 January 2005 3:31 pm, Jim Cornette flailed at a keyboard and
produced this:

> - It is less capable than even late 1990's M$ when you are trying to
> setup dual-displays.
> - Some drivers are intentionally deleted because "nobody has this
> hardware any longer".
> - Some programs have lower functionality than they had when they were
> first created.
> - Disabling ICONs in the menus (mozilla) and not using the default icons
> that were provided from the projects. (confusing and too blue)

I, personally, can't think of any reason why Fedora would suck for me.  It
does all that I need it to do:  web browsing, e-mail, writing (very important
for me), programming (mostly web development), music and DVD's.  I'm not much
of a gamer, so that isn't important to me.

Every now and then, FC3 does something unusual and unexpected; this morning,
for example, it stopped listening to my USB devices for no good reason that I
could see, and wouldn't start listening again until I rebooted.  When these
things happen, I repeat the mantra:  "Fedora Core 3 is bleeding edge, Fedora
Core 3 is bleeding edge".  Even so, I still have fewer problems with FC3 than
I do with my WinXP laptop.

One thing that does suck is that I can't make the SMP version of the 2.6
kernel play with my dual-processor motherboard; I think, though, that this is
a problem with the 2.6 kernel and my motherboard, not with FC3, since I had
the same problem with SuSE.

> Now, why I like Fedora FC3:
>
> - Most of my hardware is recognized and is reliable and functional.
>
> - New ways to approach computing and keeping security a primary concern.
>
> - and of course, because it is downloadable for free and not encumbered
> with proprietary software.

I love FC3 because of the strong user community surrounding it.  Whenever I
have a question I can post it here or to one of the other lists I belong to,
and it will be answered.  Sometimes sarcastically, but always answered. ;-)
Plus, I can customize it any way I like; I didn't like FC's implementation of
KDE, so I grabbed KDE from the KDE-Redhat project, and I haven't looked back.
Installing my DVD drive was a piece of cake.  Running FC3, my old dual-pro
866 MHz PIII works slicker and smoother and more reliably than my 1.2GHz PIV
laptop running WinXP.  There's almost nothing I can do in WinXP that I can't
do in FC3.  The only reason I keep Windows around at this point is so I can
install audio books from audible.com onto my Creative Zen Nomad+ MP3 player
(yes, I do have GNomad installed on my FC3 box, but the Audible.com manager
desktop application does not exist for Linux... yet).

I'm not a maniac about FC3; at home I also run an RH8 box and a Debian Woody
laptop.  At work, I maintain a server running FC2, a couple of Solaris boxes,
and an old SunBlade 100 running Gentoo.  My world is not all that narrow,
though after only three years of playing with this stuff, I'm still a
relative *nix newbie.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxx)