Re: FC3 memory (evolution)

On 01/27/2005 06:23:58 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:

I think that the culprit is 'spamassassin', with one 'spamd' being
spawned
for each email account that is being checked. Simplest solution is to
either not use spamassassin or not check so many email accounts. Next
simplest solution, is to increase them amount of ram if you can. That
way
it won't appear so sluggish and will speed everything else up as well.

Spamassassin is slow.
If there is any way you can set up a different box to pop for you and process the mail through spamassassin, and then get evolution to get mail from that, your user experience will increase.

What I ended up doing with balsa, and you can do the same with evolution, is I use fetchmail to get my mail, process it through spamassassin, and deposit them into my Inbox. Balsa then checks for new mail in my Inbox ( /var/spool/mail/username )

That way it happens wether I am actively checking my mail or not, and then my filters filter based upon the headers SpamAssassin creates. It has made using mail so much better to use. I do this with three mail accounts (fetchmail grabs them all).

That's probabably the best way to do it if you (like me) can't run spamassassin on a separate box.