Re: Enhancing performance on Server

Craig White wrote:

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 05:59 +0000, James Marcinek wrote:

I'm wondering if the bottleneck is in the network card. The whole network is
100BaseT. I haven't used a lot of network tools (mainly netstat) so I'd be
interested to hear of some good ones. Also if there are any suggestions based
off of past experiences.

I do have one thing that I am considering but don't know if it's practical (or
feasible) and that is putting another network card onto the network. Now I've
never done this but heard that the cards could be bound, or one card accepting
packets and one would be for sending. I'd be extremely interested in hearing if
it's possible and how it can be done. I'd also like to hear of any pros and cons
to this or any other suggestions.

--- Indeed - makes total sense - buy 2 server grade intel cards and yank out (or turn off in bios if motherboard) and do bonding to 1 ip address. Make sure you use high quality cables and hopefully this is a switch you are using to get full duplex and it would have to really help.

Craig

Another option might be to add a 1Gb card in the server and get a switch with Gb uplink. This is a popular solution on the k12ltsp list (although their bandwidth problems are due to X traffic rather than samba). amer.com sells a 24 port switch with 2x1Gb links for <$300

http://www.amer.com/catalogue/asr24g2.html