Re: Moving / and swap into LVM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Remi Collet wrote:

Matthew Saltzman a écrit :
I have a 40G disk partitioned as follows, with no empty space:

/dev/hda1 - Mfgr's diagnostics
/dev/hda2 - WinXP system
/dev/hda3 - Lunix /boot
/dev/hda4 - Extended
    /dev/hda5 - WinXP data
    /dev/hda6 - LVM physical volume
    - /home
    - /opt
    - /usr
    - /usr/local
    /dev/hda7 - FAT32 shared by WinXP and Linux
    /dev/hda8 - /
    /dev/hda9 - swap

I've discovered that space on / is a bit tight, so I'd like to change things around so that I have:

    /dev/hda6 - LVM physical volume
    - /home
    - /opt
    - /usr
    - /usr/local
    - /
    - swap
    /dev/hda7 - FAT32

Is this possible without reinstalling? If so, how?

I think so (thanks to LVM)

First disable swap space (in fstab and reboot)

Convert /dev/hda9 to pv (pvcreate)
Extend the LVM "volume group" by adding the new PV
	vgextent
Create the new / in the LVM (hope you have enough place)
	lvcreate, mke2fs
Copy file (from old / to new /) from CD rescue
change from old / to new / (edit fstab and grub.conf)
Convert /dev/hda8 to pv (pvcreate)
Extend the LVM "volume group" by adding the new PV (vgextent)
Create a new lv for swap
	lvcreate, mkswap
Enable the new swap space (edit fstab)

Sounds like this will work, but it seems like it ought to be easier to do it "offline" booting from a rescue disk rather than using the live system with filesystems in place and mounted.

Thus,

(1) Back up / partition.
(2) Boot from rescue disk.
(3) I could now use fdisk to delete / and swap and replace with a single
    partition hda8.
(4) Convert hda8 to a PV (pvcreate)
(5) Extend the volume group (vgetextent)
(6) Create / and swap (pvcreate, mke2fs, mkswap).
(7) Edit fstab and grub.conf.
(8) Reboot into live system.

Any reason to think this won't work?

But, first of all : make a backup !

But of course!

You should have /dev/hda6 - physical volume /dev/hda7 - FAT32 /dev/hda8 - physical volume /dev/hda9 - physical volume LVM vg (hda6+kda8+hda9) - /home - /opt - /usr - /usr/local - / - swap

Cordialy, Remi.

Thanks.

--
		Matthew Saltzman