Re: Old GCC

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 18:27 -0500, Steven Pasternak wrote:
> On Saturday 22 January 2005 18:11, James Wilkinson wrote:
> > Steven Pasternak wrote:
> > > Is it possible to install an old gcc and use it like the package
> > > 'compat-gcc' does? For example, I want gcc 3.4 for the things I compile
> > > for me, but RPMs I build for ancient systems I want to be built with gcc
> > > 2.7.x. Is it possible to like install 3.4 in /usr and 2.7 in /usr/gcc or
> > > something like that? If so, how exactly? Thanks!
> >
> > Erm ... "ancient" is right. We're talking RHL 5.x and similar here?
> >
> > Thing is, compatibility is not simply a matter of which compiler you
> > use. To begin with, I don't think Fedora rpm will build a package that
> > the rpm on those systems will recognise. I suspect you're going to be
> > updating a *lot* of basic files to get this to work.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be easier to install a suitably old version of Red Hat
> > Linux, and produce the RPMs there?
> >
> > James.
> >
> > --
> > James Wilkinson       | ... in our completely unscientific usability study,
> > Exeter    Devon    UK | it took our subjects less than 10 seconds to locate
> > E-mail address: james | the Solitaire game. We're not sure what else the
> > @westexe.demon.co.uk  | corporate desktop needs. -- Michael Hall,
> > Serverwatch
> I was just using 2.7 as an example because it was the first thing to come to
> mind. I just want to produce rpms that will work on my fedora system and my
> friend's suse system. I'm not talking about complex RPMs either, nothing like
> X. I just want to make something that doesn't gripe because I don't have
> libsdc++ 3.4, but something more general that works on systems just a few
> years old, maybe around 1 1/2 to 2 years.

Hi Steven,

You want to learn about crosstools.  Dan Kegel has all the information
on his web-page at:

	http://www.kegel.com/

Crosstools is a script that performs exactly what you want.  This is the
tools that embedded systems developers use to create compilers for all
the various targets (x86, ARM, sh4, etc.).  And yes, this is the tool
you use to build the "ancient" compilers you mention.

There are a limited set of "good known combinations" of gcc/glibc, which
he documents, but the script is not strictly limited to this set.  The
script can be used to construct and test just about any combination you
can imagine, you just might need to do some work to find patches to fix
"bugs" found when the tests fail.

There is also a Red Hat sponsored mail-list for crosstools.  Just go to:

		http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html

and subscribe to the following lists:

          binutils
          crossgcc
          glibc
          newlib (optional)
          etc.

The "etc." there is for any other mail-lists that you may find
"interesting" with respect to the tasks you are performing.

Download the latest development snapshot (this is the one you will get
support for on the mail lists, and is reasonably stable/mature) and
extract.  The docs directory will have some very useful documentation to
lead you through building your compiler/library and testing your target
system.

I hope this helps.