Re: Disk Druid - Fedora flame #1

On Saturday 22 January 2005 22:08, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > As a matter of interest I tried this ("linux askmethod")
> > but it didn't appear to have any effect.
> > When I reached the choice of method NFS was listed
> > (this is what I wanted to try)
> > but I was unable to choose it -
> > if I did, it simply returned at once to the same choices.
> > (All that I was able to choose was Local CD or Hard disk.)
> >
> > I assume the reason is that I had no IP connection at that moment.
> > In fact I have only one PMCIA slot,
> > and that was occupied by the CD reader.
> >
> > Is it in fact possible to install over the net in this case?
>
> Probably not.  Can you use boot from a USB pen drive so you
> can leave the network connection in place?

My laptop (Sony C1VFK Picturebook) can't boot from any USB device.
It can only boot from a Sony floppy drive (which I don't have)
or a Sony CD reader (or something indistinguishable from one).

> If you have lots of disk space on the machine you can
> copy the isos onto a vfat or ext3 partition that you can keep,
> and do a hard disk install instead.

But how do you do a hard disk install if you have no OS on the machine?
How do you transfer the ISOs?

My method, as I mentioned, was to install SuSE-8 and then use that
to get over the Fedora-3 ISO's.
My question was: is there a simpler way?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366