http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/festival/

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/doc/

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/

http://cmuflite.org/

All found via google  (-:

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Bob Goodwin wrote:

John Wendel wrote:

Bob Goodwin wrote:

Can anyone suggest an application to convert
text to voice audio to read e-mail, etc. aloud?

Thank you.

Bob Goodwin    Zuni, Virginia

"festival" is the text-to-speech app shipped with Fedora. "man festival" has the details. It would be really nice if it was integrated with the desktop, if you get it working in a useful fashion let us know.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the guidance, someone mentioned "flite" and/or "festival," neither of which showed in my google effort? It turns out that festival is available from yum and also on disk #3 of FC-2, this distribution.

I installed festival from the FC-2 CD and now have to figure out what it is and what I can do with it.

I lost most of the sight in my right eye a couple of years ago and now I am having trouble with the left eye. I can still read text on the screen but with difficulty, making it large helps but converting it to voice might be useful at least part of the time.

Bob Goodwin

Yes, I'm sure google does ok if you know the app. names, flite, and festival, but I searched on "text to voice" and never got where I needed to be.

I'm in good shape now and have festival working from the command line.

Thanks to all.

Bob Goodwin