Re: Postfix or Sendmail?

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:41:12 -0500, "Scot L. Harris" <webid@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>As long as spamassassin pays for it's own pizza that should not be a
>problem.  :)
>
>I have been amazed at just how effective greylisting is.  Until you
>actually see it it is very hard to believe.
>
>I still like keeping spamassassin around, defense in depth.  :)

To return to the topic, I've just replaced one the MX's fronting our Exchange
server with a server running FC3, Sendmail, ClamAV, and SpamAssassin.  The
MX's were using a package called Gamera (Qmail, qmail-scanner, clamAV,
SpamAssassin) that was effective but a bear to administer. I made a minor
change to one of the config files and accidentally changed the permissions on
that file. Instead of gracefully failing, the permission change got picked up
by the system and wound up causing qmail-scanner to change permissions on
dozens of files, completely breaking its ability to handle mail.  (I suppose
that's why we have *two* MX servers.)

Anyhow, although the Gamera system worked, it's just too fragile and over
integrated.  I find the sendmail and milter arrangement easier to understand
and an environment in which it's easier to isolate a non-functioning part.
--
  Steve