Re: cheap low-profile pci ethernet adapters

I needed one of these 2 weeks ago. A friend brought me his computer and asked me to install Fedora Core 3 on it. His box is an old Dell Dimension 300 Mhz system and it didn't have a network card in it. I had bought a CompUSA 10/100 low profile card about 2 years ago in case a day like this happened. I reached into my toolbox, took out the small bubblewrapped bundle, and installed the card. Yes, it is a Realtek 8139 chipset. I paid about $15 for the card after sales tax.

I was able to do an NFS install of Fedora Core 3 just fine. There was no problem getting the networking bits running. My friend is happily Fedora-ing away now using his home network.

Anoher very good card brand is Hawking Techology.

Bob Cochran

Matt Morgan wrote:

I'm setting up a small home server. I got a low-power VIA box; the
case is skinny and handles low-profile PCI cards only, and I need a
second ethernet adapter for routing.

Searching on Froogle.com I find a lot of low-profile ethernet cards
but the ones I recognize are not really cheap. On the other hand, the
Startech ST100SLP:

http://www.startech.com/ProductSpecs/ST100SLP.htm

is very inexpensive (about $10 US), comes up prominently in a lot of
my searches, and claims to support Linux. However, searches for that
card and "Fedora Core" turn up nothing. Does anybody know if this
works well/easily in FC3? Or is this brand generally OK? I've never
heard of them.

If anyone has a recommendation for another low-profile PCI ethernet
adapter, let me know.

Thanks a lot,
Matt