FC 2 Sound problem (probably due to user ignorance)

Greetings everyone. I recently migrated my desktop system from RH 8 to Fedora Core 2 and need a little help. My limited linux technical knowledge is dimmed (and outdated) from lack of use since migrating from RH 7.1 to RH 8. If my questions/issues come across as "noise" I ask for tolerance (and your pardon).

Installation of FC-2 was smooth and easy for the most part. Only two problems surfaced right away - one I have resolved (scanning and printing support for a HP multi-function officeJet) and one that I need help on (sound).

The system is runing kernel 2.6.10-1.8_FC2 using a Gigabyte GA-7VAX motherboard with onboard sound chips. The system hardware browser reports FC-2 hardware probing modules detect the sound hardware and report it as VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC 97 Audio Controller manufactured by VIA Technologies and list the driver as snd-via82xx. [Alsamixer (v1.0.3) identifies the sound hardware as a VIA 8235 card with Realtek ALC650E chipset.]

Gigabyte documentation for the motherboard describe the onboard sound components as Realtek ALC650 CODEC. Drawing on info from ALSA-project.org documentation, I used terminal command line entries to confirm presence of the snd-via82xx driver in the kernel ("modinfo soundcore") and alsamixer to make sure that the sound card was not "muted". I also "unmuted" all sound functions via the Gnome Volume Control graphical application. Test of the sound facilities with Gnome's graphical Sound Card Detection utility in "System Settings" still produced no sound.

After stumbling across a reference to "etc/modules.conf" in a document located through a file search for that expression, I gather that 2.6.x kernels look in a file named /etc/modprobe.conf instead of /etc/modules.conf for startup parameters. My system's modprobe.conf contents appear questionable but I haven't been able to find a template or sample for modprobe.conf entries needed to turn on the sound support. The ALSA-Project.org documentation leaves me with many unanswered questions.

Current /etc/modprobe.conf contents are:

alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 8139too
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx && /usr/sbin/alsact1 restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsact1 store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : /sbin/modeprobe -r
--ignore-remove snd-via82xx
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

What do I need to do to the modprobe.conf file to enable sound support with the snd-via82xx driver?

Do I need to also add references in modprobe.conf to "snd-pcm-oss", "snd-mixer-oss", "snd-seq-oss" (which are mentioned in the ALSA project documentation)?

Do I need "the .asoundrc file" mentioned in ALSA documentation?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance offered.

Dave C.