Re: How to see number of pci-slots

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:01:16 +0100, Alexander Apprich
<a.apprich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> > Alexander Apprich schrieb:

> >> dmidecode should do the job.
> >>
> >> http://www.nongnu.org/dmidecode/

> >> Alex
> >>
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > Thanks a lot, nice to see you alive ;-)
>
> to be a lil more specific
>
>     apprich@elmstreet bin $ sudo dmidecode | grep PCI | wc -l
>     6
>

> > Roger
> >

> Alex

Is the result correct?  Here's what I get on my system with an ASUS
SP97-V motherboard:

# dmidecode | grep PCI | wc -l
9

No way is that correct.  I had to change the filter for grep to get
the correct count.

# dmidecode | grep "PCI Slot" | wc -l
4

So even if I changed the filter to "Slot"  the results would not be
that useful.  The ASUS SP97-V MB has 4 PCI and 3 ISA slots, but only 6
openings.  One opening is shared.  The information dmidecode provides
is useful but incomplete.  dmicode cannot determine if an ISA slot is
occupied.  Even if you have a new motherboard with all PCI slots the
data provided would not tell you that an installed card is oversize
and requires an adjacent slot or that an opening is used for an I/O
panel.  You are still going to need to use keep track of what is
installed.