Re: How to improve performance? (starter)

James Wilkinson wrote:

> Incidentally, another poster

That was me ...

> recommended upgrading to a K6-III. In my
> experience, on normal desktop use, you wouldn't notice the extra 20%
> performance this brings.

... for three reasons:

1-I clearly see more speed from a K6-III+ 450 than from a K6/2 500
2-More than likely his K6/2 is slower than 500
3-Many motherboards run short of cache RAM when you max their memory,
and the extra cache on a K6-III(+) reduces this impact.

> Besides, it will be hard to source these nowadays.

You might be surprised. Someone just had a pallet of the best ones for
around $4000 on eBay less than a month ago.

A K6-III+ is virtually an Athlon. This cannot be said for a K6-III.
--
"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,
but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/