Re: DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance

Ow Mun Heng wrote:
| Hi All,
|
| 	searching my of-line fedora list archive (535271 mails) around did not
| give me any information on the performance difference between using
| dovecot and using cyrus.
|
| Right now, I've installed and configured postfix and cyrus-imapd to
| handle only 2 email accounts. (testing)
|
| I recently had a chat with a friend and he was telling me dovecot is
| turning out to be not only simpler in configuration but was also
| faster(?) than cyrus-imapd.
|
| To Run a imap server serving say a big corporation, heck even a _big_
| ISP, which would have been better? Cyrus or dovecot? Has anyone any
| experience with running both and testing/playing with either?
|
| What are your thought and.....

I looked into Cyrus and found that the setup was not as intuitive as I
would have liked.  When I started, we had a POS Exchange server (even by
Exchange standards this one was garbage due to its setup).  We have lots
of road warriors, so when I switched to qmail, I also set up maildirs,
and served them with courier.

I know lots of people love courier, but I had nothing but trouble with
it, especially with Thunderbird clients.  Now qmail is gone and a
Postfix server is in its place, and courier is gone and dovecot is in
its place.  This configuration has shown much easier to manage, but also
super stable.

The only slowness I have found with dovecot was when I tried to
configure it to read account information directly from LDAP.  If I go
though PAM, which reads its accounts from LDAP, it is fine.  I suspect
the problem is a PIBKAC error, so don't read too much into that problem.

When I looked at Cyrus, its configuration was just far more complex than
I could justify.  As for speed, most accounts I have heard from place
Cyrus as faster, but not by an amount that I feel would make a big
difference in anything but the most extreme cases.  From what I can
tell, dovecot can more than outrun my fast Ethernet (100Mb).  So,
therefore, unless you are running gigabit Ethernet, or, you are
overloading that machine, I doubt that dovecot is going to create any
significant performance problems.  Even if you are running G-Ethernet or
overloading the machine, its smaller size will probably reduce most if
not all the speed advantage.

Good Luck

- --
Kevin Fries