Re: MySQL startup confused [SOLVED]

--On 12. januar 2005 9:44 +0100 "Lars E. Pettersson" <lars@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 21:10, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
That was Jason's quick guess. And having a look at the mysql init script
you will find following comment:

        # If you've removed anonymous users, this line must be changed
        # use a user that is allowed to ping mysqld.
        ping="/usr/bin/mysqladmin -uUNKNOWN_MYSQL_USER ping"

The update from January 5 does it in an even better way (see the bugzilla mentioned earlier in th thread)

        # Spin for a maximum of N seconds waiting for the server to come
up.
        # Rather than assuming we know a valid username, accept an
"access
        # denied" response as meaning the server is functioning.
        if [ $ret -eq 0 ]; then
            STARTTIMEOUT=10
            while [ $STARTTIMEOUT -gt 0 ]; do
                RESPONSE=`/usr/bin/mysqladmin -uUNKNOWN_MYSQL_USER ping
2>&1` &&
 break
                echo "$RESPONSE" | grep -q "Access denied for user" &&
break
                sleep 1
                let STARTTIMEOUT=${STARTTIMEOUT}-1
            done
            if [ $STARTTIMEOUT -eq 0 ]; then
                    echo "Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL
Daemon."
                    action $"Starting $prog: " /bin/false
            else
                    action $"Starting $prog: " /bin/true
            fi
        else
            action $"Starting $prog: " /bin/false
        fi

I.e. an "Access denied for user" is also considered as an indication
that the server is up.

Lars

If that's the case then I'll update my server. Will see.

Sasa