Re: IS FC3 stable?

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi

Alex, I hardly said the whole release was un-stable, I just pointed out
a few things that aren't working properly. And as far as
cyrus/sendmail, if we ever want Linux to seriously challenge Windows,
we're going to have to do better than placing packages in a release that
need quite a bit of twiddling to get to function even marginally.

stop right there. Linux has been competitive in the server arena for a long time. I am very spectical of anyone who claims that this one feature is obsolutely needed for linux to make progress.

would better integration be nice - sure
it is obsolutely needed - no
has this something to do with windows - no

Rahul, I guess either I didn't make myself clear enough, or maybe you mis-read what I typed. An operating system that includes tools to make configuring it easy is not an option. As far was the point you are worked up about, that was specifically referring to Cyrus/Sendmail not working as installed by the distro. If you include a package, make it work when you install it. It's quite possible this type of thinking, we don't need this or that, that holds Linux back. I mean really, as far as an operating system, it kicks Windows butt. But in the area of ease of installation and configuration, we could all do to quite belly aching about it not be needed, and just do it and allow Linux to displace windows, once and for all. Rahul, please step back a moment, how would you like to buy a new car, and have to rewire it, move things around, etc, before you could drive it off the dealers lot. We've come a long way, but whether you want to admit it or not, we have a long way to go. Let's start walking, instead of claiming we don't need to go.

Pete