Re: Crash on network transfer

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:12:21 -0800, Chris Lynch <tsw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Over the past few weeks I've been trying to figure this out, but I'm quite
> stuck.  I'm pretty new to Linux, so my troubleshooting has only gotten me so
> far...
>
> Essentially, the problem occurs when I try to ftp something at relatively
> high speeds to or from my FC3 box.  Browsing from the box or other items
> don't cause this problem, as they don't get the bandwidth that apparently
> triggers this problem.  When I start my FTP, things go smoothly for a few
> moments (say they're running at 10MB/sec), and then the machine dies (no
> response, although the lights on the keyboard are not flashing).

[snip]

> My interrupts look like this:
>            CPU0
>   0:     843136          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:         10          XT-PIC  i8042
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   5:          0          XT-PIC  ivtv: iTVC15/16 mpg2 encoder chip
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>   9:       2015          XT-PIC  SysKonnect SK-98xx
>  10:      13502          XT-PIC  ide2
>  11:      50395          XT-PIC  EMU10K1, nvidia
>  12:         92          XT-PIC  i8042
>  14:      20719          XT-PIC  ide0
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
>
> I don't think anything looks out of the ordinary in there, so I'm really
> stumped.  Turning off DMA isn't much of an option on this box as I run
> MythTV on it and need good drive bandwidth.
>
> I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone has!  Hopefully this is the
> right place to send this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Have you tried booting with the "noapic" option.  At GRUB boot screen
press 'a' on the Fedora entry and type " noapic" and hit enter to
boot.  It is possible you could have problems with the dynamic IRQs
and seeing these problems with heavy network usage.  I have heard of
APIC causing problems with networking, but this is only a guess.  Can
you reproduce errors in other ways by using the network?  Perhaps
downloading a file from the internet (by http, to get away from ftp).

Jonathan

PS It's best to send plain-text messages to the list.  Some people
don't like it when others send HTML mail.