Re: scripting rpm installs

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 03:06, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Me again and my script,
>
> OK so part of scripting a fix for cdrom and udev and bla bla, I thought is
> would be cool to also script some rpms to save time,
>
> In the script I have some line like this
>
> rpm -Uvh $packagedir/package.rpm
> rpm -Ivh $packagedir/package.rpm
>
> theres about 70 packages in the dir.
> The problem I am experiencing is if I upgrade a package in the dir, the
> version changes. and the script must be updated,
> Now for dependancy solving I have to install them in a certian order.
>
> Unfortunately I can't use up2date, apt , yume etc for this as The network that
> does the installs is isolated and has not internet access, As you can imagine
> on a PC prodction line we also do windows, and the risk of a virus getting
> onto brand new systems in too high so we are disconnected from the inet.
>
> The PC builder 30 of them scp a folder from the server an execute the script
> which patches fixes install etc
>
> is there some way to tell the script not to look at the version number in
> other words:
> this one is normal and must be updated on change of package
> rpm -Uvh a52dec_0.7.4-7.1.fc3.fr_i386.rpm
>
> This line is what I am after but am unsure of how to go about it
> ie if I replace the rpm in the package dir with a newer version I don't need
> to update the script line.
>
> rpm -Uvh a52dec<version>.rpm
>

> I hope this makes, I am confusing myself here! :0

Chad,

Couple of suggestions.

1) Have you looked at -F as an option for rpm?  I have an errata
directory that I carry around.  Problem is, an rpm -Uvh $erratadir/*.rpm
would not only upgrade everything it would also install everything else
from that directory on me.  After I do an interactive or kickstart
install, I simply point to that directory and do an rpm -Fvh
${erratadir}/*.rpm

2) This leads me to my second thought.  Why not just put a wildcard in
for the version number?  For example, rpm -Uvh
$packagedir/packagename-*.arch.rpm.  Remember that with rpm you can
specify multiple filenames (either with a wildcard or put a space in
between names).  Then during the "pre-flight check" rpm will resequence
based on pre-req needs.

HTH,

--Rob