FC3 and Pentium 4 optimization?

I am seeking clarification of a point made in the release notes. It states that FC3 is optimized for Pentium 4. However the kernels and glibc available are labeled as i686 and i386. I assume, since Pentium 1 is the minimum hardware requirement, that the instruction set used is Pentium 1. So:

1. What optimization and instruction set are the general packages actually compiled with?
2. What optimization and instruction set are glibc-i686 and kernel-i686 compiled with? (I seem to recall that the kernel is now optimized for size.)
3. How important is this to someone running a different processor? (Say Athlon XP.) IIRC p4 has very specific optimization requirements.

Thanks,
Steve Bergman