Re: mplayer

--- Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 18:58 -0500, Jim wrote:
> > thank you all for the sugestions   the apt-get
> method seems to be pretty cool!
> > why hasn't this been built into the fedora kernel
> as of yet??
> >

> > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:32:26 +0100, Markus Huber
> > <humarfedoralists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Jim wrote:
> > >

> <snipped>
>

> > --
> > James Lawrence
> > Rochester NY
> >

> I for one do NOT EVER want to have apt-get, yum,
> up2date, or any other
> of the many update tools built into the kernel
>
> Doing so would lead to a proprietary distribution
> and lock us into the
> monopolistic view that M$ tries to tie us to.  It
> could lead to a
> limited set of mirror sources, exactly the releases
> (someone) wanted us
> to use, and no options to choose different tools or
> programs.
>
> By not building it into the kernel we maintain the
> ability to choose our
> tool and options to use with it. Whatever sources we
> want are available
> and WE pick.
>
> Remember, open source provides us free choice, not
> free as in no cost.
> In this case the cost is being forced to learn and
> choose what we want.

I agree with you.  As users of Linux in general, one
can choose which application to install to view DVD's.
 Take xine, ogle, mplayer, kplayer, totem, etc..,
whichever one works for you.  The installation method
whether via rpm -ivh, rpm -Uvh, yum, apt-get, from
source *.tar.gz, *.tar.bz2 with ./configure, make, and
make install, whatever works for you.  This is the
beauty of linux.  Failed dependencies, lib***.so
missing this or that, all the messages that we
encounter all but make us stronger and more determined
to make something work.  And if we don't know how to
make something work, we ask for help and someone
somewhere with the same problem that has solved it
helps us and guides us to make it work.

Thanks to all in the list,

Antonio