Re: VI highlighting 'echo'

On Wed, December 29, 2004 9:07 pm, Nifty Hat Mitch said:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 11:56:05AM +0100, Maciek R. wrote:
>>
>> I have no idea how I activated this ... but while writing some easy
>> shell scripts the VI editor highlights the word 'echo' so the background
>> is orange. How can I remove this option? I already used man vi and

Here's my guess...   somehow you pressed the number 8 key and holding
shift, while your cursor was sitting on the word "echo".   This is the
shortcut for search-for-word.   Now every time you load vi it is showing
you your previous "search".    You can simply press   /    and then type a
bunch of random keys as a search string.   Press ENTER and the word echo
will no longer be highlighted every time you start vi.

Cheers,
Sean