Re: Linux Home Server HOWTO - Open For Review

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

For DDNS, an alternative would be to use ddclient which is a perl script
and it acts as a deamon and polls the interface for the IP and updates
it.

I did want to add some type of monitoring here, but I found the script the easiest and simplest way; people should be able to follow it.

On the Firewall stuff
My comment is, wouldn't it be simpler to note that all of those can be
performed using a package such as shorewall? Teaching CLI for iptables
great and stuffs, but it's more Low-level than high Level. (as you put
it)

Thats a fair call.. I called chapter 6 'concepts' for that reason, and Ive tried to keep the explanations as simple as possible. Security and simple are a hard match to start with, thats the reason I at least provided them with an example script to get them started. This is only the initial release, I think it would be suitable to include a package in future revisions.

On your squid section, I believe that the FC3 startup scripts already
does the database/cache directories if it's not been initialiased
already so your squid -z would be moot.

That is correct, similar to sendmail initscript and "make -C /etc/mail" etc... I put this in more as precautionary and it wont hurt them to run it, I also mentioned the sendmail one just to be safe.

I guess that's it from me.

Ow,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I value it.

Regards,
Miles Brennan.