Re: (no subject)

On Dec 29, 2004, "R. Kirk McPike" <kirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My LCD's resolution is 1280 x 800, but that's not an option listed in
> my Display system settings. I've set my video card to the proper card
> (ATI Radeon Mobility 9200), and set my display to Generic LCD Display
> 1280x800, but to no avail. Do I need to figure out precisely what
> brand of monitor HP has included with my laptop?

No, but you need a modeline.  Have a look at my home page (URL in the
signature) and you'll find notes for installing FC3 on a very similar
notebook.  The X modeline will probably work for you.

> Also, how do I put the system to sleep so that I can safely close the
> lid and move it about?

root# echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep should do it, if it works.  It doesn't
for me, and I'm yet to debug the oops I get on suspend on FC3/AMD64.

> Next I need to see if I can get my wireless card working.

Mine doesn't have wireless, but I suspect it's a Broadcom card, which
means using ndiswrapper or so (and tainting your kernel while at that)
to use proprietary drivers.  I've googled a bit while trying to find
solutions to other problems I ran into, and a number of people had
recipes to get the card working, unfortunately none of them built into
FC.  There's an r3000 mailing list where people discuss all sorts of
GNU/Linux issues on HP notebooks.  I don't have the URLs handy, but
that's what search engines are for :-)