Re: Average load extremely high, no cpu used

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 03:10:09PM +0100, Andrea Gangini wrote:

> Hi, I noticed this behavior on one of my server (mail server, postfix +
> amavisd + spamassassin, 2,8ghz Xeon, kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3smp).
>
> Here's the output of top command:
>
> top - 15:04:35 up 4 days,  6:33,  2 users,  load average: 15.00, 15.03,
> Any clues/suggestions?

I have seen this same symptom recently.

As best I could tell some cron started tasks blocked on a lock file
access involving a LONG running task (setiathome).  Since I had done a
number of critical path updates and system admin stuff that could have
placed these tasks in harms way I rebooted and have not seen the
problem since.

Kevin posted a hint to use "ps" with a long alphabet soup of flags.
When looking at that output also look at "lsof" output and match it to
the processes (a network resource could be the problem).

Since you are running a multi processing (SMP) kernel it may be that
you have a set of processes or threads that are in a true live lock
situation.  It is likely that a user space process is spinning on some
application specific lock (resource contention).  If so then the
application needs to be debugged.  Listings of ps and lsof can help
narrow the list of processes for debugging.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.