FC1 -> FC3 borked my system (empty start menus)

Hello,

I tried to upgrade my FC1 system to FC3 last night but I have some
problems. It's probably my own fault (mixing repositories) but I'd
still like to fix them :)
After upgrading and rebooting, I couldn't log on to KDE any more (I
got an error about missing mime types) and I didn't have an option to
log onto Gnome any more in the logon screen so I choose 'failsafe
mode' and then I got an xterm. I tried 'apt-get update' but I got an
error about librpm-4.2.so not being found; luckily yum still worked so
I did 'yum upgrade' and after downloading and installing a couple of
hundreds of megabytes and rebooting, I couldn't even start X any more.
Turned out that ~/.ICEauthority was 600 root:root; after chmodding it
644 and chowning to my own user I could start the failsafe mode again.
I removed the packages that were left from the livna.org and fedora.us
repositories (they were there from the FC1 days), did 'yum
group-install "GNOME desktop environment" and after that I could log
on to both Gnome and KDE again. However, in both, I don't see any
entries in the 'start' menus! (except for some 'system' entries like
'run command'; what I mean is that I don't see any shortcuts to
applications). I do have redhat-desktop installed, and some other
packages that say they are needed for the start menu, but they are
empty. (sorry I don't have the machine at hand to say what packages
those are exactly). So, what can I do to try to get my start menus
populated again? Thanks.

cheers,

roel