yum update doesn't!

Newest problem ... since several have suggested updating my system would solve
some issues, I tried it. "yum update" goes through, identifies all the
packages that need updating (I assume--I didn't go through and manually
verify), downloads all the packages (verified they're
in /var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages), and then happily exits. But did
it update anything? Nope. "yum check-updates" still lists everything that
needed updating.

Am I supposed to manually go into the directory and run "rpm -Uvh *"? I
thought yum was supposed to handle all that?