Re: monitor remote rpm database

Hi,
Now ....I tried to go to /var/log
and there I found rpm log files
[root@linuxbox123 root]# cd /var/log
[root@linuxbox123 log]# ls *rpm*
rpmpkgs  rpmpkgs.1  rpmpkgs.2  rpmpkgs.3  rpmpkgs.4
[root@linuxbox123 log]#

after diffing each file I found the difference of the files / packages
that were installed

[root@linuxbox123 log]# diff rpmpkgs rpmpkgs.4
212d211
< j2re-1.4.0_03-fcs.i386.rpm
324d322
< mutt-1.4.1-4.i386.rpm
[root@linuxbox123 log]#
But my question stands as when did the exact change/or installation
happen , and what is the significance of numerical extensions .1,.2,.3
in each of the files as I tried to diff
rpmpkgs and rpmpkgs.1 , I found no difference :( ( little confused here..)
[root@linuxbox123 log]# diff rpmpkgs rpmpkgs.1
[root@linuxbox123 log]#
then I simply did long listing and found that  'rpmpkgs' file is the
latest file , Should I suppose it or not ? ( Noticing the Date)

[root@linuxbox123 log]# ls -l *rpm*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        14953 Dec 29 04:03 rpmpkgs
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        14953 Dec 25 04:02 rpmpkgs.1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        14931 Dec 18 04:03 rpmpkgs.2
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        14931 Dec 11 04:02 rpmpkgs.3
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        14904 Dec  4 04:02 rpmpkgs.4
so simply diffing them would have the solution .. What do you say guys ???

Regards,
Nikhil.