Re: FC3 Suspend Problem on Laptop

Quoting Alexander Volovics <awol@xxxxxxx>:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 07:58:53AM +0000, mwood77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the ideas.  I did a little more playing around and found
> that
> > neither ctrl-c or the apm -s & work.  For some reason, it's as
> though my
> > command interpreter is just out to lunch.
>
> > If I do manage to switch to another terminal session (happened a
> couple
> > times, but not always) using <ctrl>+<alt>+F2, I can log in as root
> but
> > cannot execute anything.  Same problem.  It seems the kernel isn't
> > awake and working or something.
>
> > Do you think I have to re-compile the kernel for my particular
> laptop
> > support?  I know Dell can be weird about this stuff.  If so, how do
> > go about downloading the source through yum?
>
> I don't think you need to recompile the kernel.
> I also have an Inspiron 8100 and never had problems with RHx,
> FC1-FC3.
> But then I have no need to suspend to ram or disk (when I am finished
> working or have to leave I just shutdown, works perfectly all the
> time :))
>
> I did get 'apm -S' (capital 's') working at one time under APM,
> but never used it. 'apm -s' never worked. I have not tried suspending
> to ram under ACPI yet.
>
> By the way which BIOS have you got. I have BIOS A14. (there seems to
> be a BIOS A15 also). A14 has restricted, but working, ACPI
> functionality.
> I have Ubuntu Linux's 'Warty' version on the i8100 at the moment
> using ACPI. Judging from the instructions in the wiki and support
> sections
> of the Ubuntu web site you *might* get 'suspend to ram' working under
> either
> or both APM and ACPI on the i8100. Have a look.
>
> For 'suspend to disk' you would have to recompile the FC3 kernel to
> enable this first. But you will need some sort of script for a clean
> restore of all functionality after suspend I suspect.
>
> Alexander

Thanks Alexander:

I was sort of afraid of that.  I have version A15 of the BIOS, so i'm
not sure if I should be using ACPI or APM.  I read somewhere that APM
was the only option for suspend to disk on these laptops.

Any way -- looks like it's time to dig into the kernel.  While I can
shut off the laptop to transport it, it takes a long time to boot and I
would really rather be able to suspend it.

MWood