Re: Are the jpackage-utils relevant to sun's jre-1_5_0_01

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 08:58:08AM +0100, Peter Boy wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 28.12.2004, 20:06 -0500 schrieb Matthew Saltzman:
> > The quick and dirty way to install Sun's Java is to install Sun's 1.4.2
> > RPM and install the JPackage java-1.4.2-sun-compat RPM.  The compat RPM
> > installs all the JPackage links and directs them to the locations of the
> > Sun files.

> The OP wished to use the most recent Java release for which a jpackage
> rpm is not available yet. I'm not shure weather the compatibility rpm
> for an older version will work with it. At a minimum the links must be
> adjusted.

> > The best way is to install the JPackage SRPM, copy Sun's tarball (don't
> > install it) and build the RPMs for yourself.  You'll want the updated
> > jpackage-utils for this.

> You are right, of course! But they are not available yet for the most
> recent release.

Peter Boy and Matthew Saltzman, thanks for the explanations/suggestions.
I have very simple java needs so I decided not to wait for the updated
'java-1.5.0-....nosrc.rpm' from jkpackage but installed the sun package
'jre-1_5_0_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin' directly.
No problems, but you have to enter links/paths by hand afterwards as usual.

When the updated jpackage 'nosrc.rpm' and an updated jpackage-utils become
available I will remove the sun package install and build a 'proper'
jpackage adjusted rpm.

Except for providing some things like 'jvmjar', 'find-jar', etc. and things
related to building and packaging instructions the FC3 jpackage-utils
essentially only seems to create empty directories. So I suppose it is
included by the way of providing proper infrastucture for future java needs.
I did not realise I needed it for rpm building.
(I hadn't examined it before like I should have done ;))

Alexander