Re: How do I move an account... A few more details

Jorge,
Thanks.

Would that be just the home directory? Or are there other directories to copy a persons complete account?

And by copying the etc/shadow, etc/passwd and etc/group would this create there accounts on my new machine?

Is there anything else I should be asking?

I am sorta new at this.

Thanks
Don

At 08:32 PM 12/28/2004, you wrote:
On Wednesday 29 December 2004 12:21 am, Don wrote:
> How do I move there directories and preserve their owner ship?  I have
> about 30 accounts on another machine.

If you use tar to backup the directories, permissions and ownerships are going
to be retained (assuming you have same user accounts on the other system).

man tar

HTH,
Jorge