Re: Freeware Anti virus programs !

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 12:51, Appeet wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I am back.
>
>Coming from the windows world, the first thing I get
>for my computer is an antivirus software. So my
>question is - Are there any good opensource freeware
>
>:) anti virus programs! (Or) Do we even need one on
>
>linux! :)
>
>Thanks,

We don't appear to need one ATM, but as linux becomes more populer, I
expect the viri writers will start to target the linux boxen.

However, with about 10x the number of linux variations compared to
windows, I don't expect them to be successfull enough to warrant the
effort, once we get the last holes plugged in those utils that are
common to most platforms.

In 7 years of dealing with multiple linux boxes, only one got
compromised on my watch, a mail server that got rootkitted through a
well known early bind vulnerability.  We caught it before the perp
could cover his tracks and rebooted, then cleaned up after him
without another reboot but we sure did install the patched bind.
That was 6 years ago, and that machine has been rebooted twice since,
once because we put in a new mobo, the old 150mhz cyrix was just too
puny.  The other when a power failure outlasted the puny little ups
we had on it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)