Re: GPL ghostscript 8.15 is available - why is 7.07 still in FC3?

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 07:03:50PM +1100, Ben Stanley wrote:

> Anyway, I had a crack at building a simple rpm, and found a few
> problems, so now I'm working on updating the 7.07 .spec file to work
> with 8.15. I've had to cut out a lot of the japanese patches which don't
> apply cleanly.
>
> Anyway, I'd just like to know if ghostscript is at 7.07 for a technical
> reason or because nobody got to it yet...

You sort of found the reason out for yourself: it's all the patches.
It's all very well saying that they don't apply cleanly so get rid of
them, but them you also lose the functionality.

There are some quite fundamental changes to the driver API in
Ghostscript 8.x.  However, work is underway to port the drivers that
are left behind.

There is also a bugzilla bug for upgrading Ghostscript to 8.x: add
yourself to the CC for that if you're interested.

Tim.
*/