Mailserver system (postfix, sendmail or qmail ?)

Hello everybody,

I want to set up a mailserver on a FC3 system. I have
no experience in working with any mailserver. So, I
like to know:

1. FC3 comes with postfix mailserver. AFAIK it does
not support POP3, but maybe it does. Besides, even the
updated version via auomatic updater is not updated
version in postfix web site. Automatic updater will
update postfix to 1.x.x however the latest version is
2.x.x I don't know why. Anyway, do you recommend
postfix rather than sendmail and qmail ? I prefer
qmail because of its complete resources on net.

2. I have access to a registered web site and its
server system. Also, mail.xxx.com is available. But I
would like to set up this mailserver to have
pop.xxx.com and smtp.xxx.com and can be reached via
mail programs such as thunderbird and also each person
be able to check his email by typing mail.xxx.com in
his browser. Do these mailservers (postfix, sendmail
and qmail) support it ? If yes, what about pop.xxx.com
and smtp.xxx.com zones ? It will created by mailserver
program ?

3. Does a mailserver manage both incoming and outgoing
operations (SMTP and POP) on a system or they should
be separated on two separated systems ?

Sorry if my questions are silly... ;)

Regards,

Helena