DNS settings for wireless connection (was: Re: How to scan for wifi hotspots?)

Hi all,

Thanks for the useful responses to my earlier post several days ago. "iwlist scan" works fine for identifying WiFI hotspots, as does KWifiManager.

However, I am still having trouble determining the correct settings for the wireless device profile (eth1) in config-system-network.

If I configure it to automatically obtain the IP number using DHCP (with the "automatically obtain DNS information from provider" option turned on), on activation the program spends a minute or so trying to determine IP information before ending in failure.

However, if I manually supply an IP number such as 192.168.1.2, the connection comes up almost instantly, but DNS lookup doesn't work, hence I can't browse or do anything useful.

For eth0, the RJ45 wire ethernet connection, the DHCP lookup with automatic DNS setting works fine. I have no additional DNS or gateway entries defined.

Suggestions anyone?