Re: Comparing Windows and Fedora Core Font Rendering

Jonathan B. Horen wrote:

[snip]

> Having done so, I made a series of screen captures under both Windows

2000 and Fedora Core 2 (fully updated), on my dual-booting Inspiron
5000e laptop. Here are the results:

http://cradle.brokenglass.com/arial_test/

When comparing, please disregard the headings that wound up being
anti-aliased on Win2K but not on FC2.

As you can see, the results are not identical, and, I think, look
poorer on Fedora.

I think they both look terrible. I'm running Firefox-1.0 on FC/3, with my font setting for Proportional set to San-Serif 14pt, San-Serif set to Arial, and "Always use my fonts" checked (selected) -- it looks terrible; however, changing San-Serif to san-serif, Bitstream Vera Sans, Luxi Sans, Nimbus Sans L, or Tahoma makes www.slashdot.org look terrific!

Actually, Arial also looks great -- I upgraded to FC/3 the day it was released (actually, I bought a new hard drive and made a fresh installation); in any case, I'd upgrade and install the msttcorefonts-1.3-3 RPM package.