hard drive problems

I am having problems with my hard rive and would appreciate any assistance troubleshooting. I am running the 64 bit version of FC2 with an AMD Athalon with
a IDE hard drive.

The problem is occasionally I have to reboot the machine because I/O with the hard rive stops working. I have seen a couple different error messages, but can't remember them verbatim. I will copy them down next time I see them. When I reboot everything seems to be O.K.

The problem manifests itself most often when I am doing I/O intensive things like downloading/installing updates but has occurred when at other times as well.

Any pointers on how to track down the problem would be appreciated.

Nate