Re: gThumb & Media Readers

Andrew Choens wrote:
On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 20:54 -0500, Thom Paine wrote:

I have the Sony P43 which seems to not be listed in supported types with
gthumb.

I ran tail /var/log/messages and I see the device get listed, and I can
mount it to, and connect to the /media/usbstick folder and view the
files.

Is there a way to import from a generic location, as opposed to a
specific camera to let me use the media reader with the different memory
cards?

Yes. Which version of Fedora are you running? I'm running FC3 and when
I insert my usb or pcmcia card reader, I get a dialog telling me there
are pictures on the medium, would I like to import them.

I've tried this and when I get to the next screen and the system states that I don't have a camera connected. I am using an older Sony SC-85. I also want to use a Dazzle 4-in-1 reader. The system recognizes the device and will react when I insert a Sony-type memory stick, but will not recognize the directory structure on the stick itself.

I usually use gthumb for this.  I assume your camera has a USB
connection.  Somewhere in the settings there could (there was on mine) a
menu setting for the USB connection the camera uses.  If it is in PTP
mode, then gnome should find it and mount it as a camera.  If not, open
the import dialog and scroll all the way down until you see generic PTP
class camera, and try to connect that way.  If that doesn't work see if
you can mount your camera as a usb-hard drive.  You'll wind up using
nautilus (or file manager of your choice) to move the files.

This might work.  I will try it and report back.

James McKenzie