FC2 on Toshiba Satellite -- flipping between external projector and LCD corrupts the X display

Does anybody have any experience with the above problem? I can use an extenal projector or the LCD no problem, but I cannot switch between the two, if I do the X display becomes unreadable. The only way to recover is to restart X.
Thanks,
Michael