IntelliMouse problem

I have an Microsoft IntelliMouse optical USB mouse. It is connected to a KVM via the USB to PS/2 converter that came with the mouse.

When I am in X and use the wheel to scroll down it works perfectly. But when I attempt to scroll up, some very strange things occur. Depending on the application, it will paste text into my document and almost always I see various pop-up menus (like those you get when you right click).

During the install of FC3 the mouse was working perfectly, but when I get into FC3 after the install is complete, the mouse strangeness starts. I saw this with FC2 also.

Any suggestions?