Re: Thunderbird Not Running Filters on Incoming POP

Cyber Source wrote:

Im using T-Bird with the same filter your mentioning and mine works fine. If your can manually run them but not automatically, make sure there is a check in the enabled column.

James McKenzie wrote:

Andrew Choens wrote:

I really do want to use Thunderbird. It has a kind of fun feel to it. But, I have one problem that has to get cleared up first. As everyone recieving this email knows, this is a high volume list. I have a filter to move all of the incoming mail over to a folder called Fedora. The filter works fine, when I manually run the filters, but it does NOT run when new mail is downloaded from my pop account. I had this with the 0.8 installed from the CD's and I'm still experiencing it with the 0.9 rpm I downloaded from Fresh RPMS. Out of curiousity, I downloaded a binary from mozilla, and got the same problem. So, what's wrong with my set-up? Why won't the filters run on the incoming mail?

If I can resolve this, I'll switch to Thunderbird, otherwise I guess I'm stuck with Evolution.

Andrew:

What are your qualifications for the filter? Also, make sure that the filter is enabled or it will not do anything.

After much searching on the internet, and reading Rich's post, I finally found the solution, which has made me VERY happy. I can use Thunderbird. It is however, a completely stupid set-up and I am planning on filing a bug with the Thunderbird developers, if someone hasn't beaten me to the punch.

When you make a filter you can apply it to your "local folders" OR to an account. The default is to make it apply to "local folders". But, not all filters get auto-run this way. To be sure your filter will be automatically run, you have to assign it to an account. This is fine, but poorly documented. I don't understand why they make the distinction. But, they do.