Re: Enterprise mail server

Chris Mason wrote:

I'm looking for feedback on experiences of implementing an enterprise mail
server with IMAP and webmail, preferably groupware, on our Dual Xeon Fedora
server. We currently have sendmail, uw-imap, squirrelmail, in standard
Redhat configuration, and we are having huge load problems as the present
setup is not capable of supporting the needs of our users. Large mail
folders bring the server to it's knees. We only have 25 users but they
travel and use the mail system as a filing system, routinely saving 10MB
emails and never cleaning up old mail.

We also need more groupware type features such as file sharing, messaging
and calendaring. I am looking at Binari, Groupwise, Surgemail, and
opengroupware which would involve more work to implement for me.

If you have spent time researching mail and groupware I would love some
feedback to save me time and help me find a suitable application.

Chris Mason

Chris,

I noticed that you have looked at Surgemail, I have been running Surgemail for about a year on a P4 box that also runs a web server and MySQL.. I have to say it is an incredibly flexible system and Netwin are happy to add services and config options to it, for example I have one mail domain that gets it used accounts from a MySQL DB.. I only have about 15 mailboxes but the server load sits at 0.01 most of the time and that includes doing spam filtering (about 500 per day are blocked on my personal account)..

I haven't used the Surgeplus groupware features because we didn't need them but I would imagine they are just as good..

If you have any questions about it feel free to contact me off list since its not really relevant to FC..

Something else you may want to look at is a system called Qmailtoaster (www.qmailtoaster.com) which I have tested in the past but then opted for Surgemail..

Later..