Re: naming files .. in abiword or OOcal or where ever

On 01:19 06 Dec 2004, Terry R. Grier <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I am used to name my files under XP this way.
|
| 'terry.whatever.month.day.year'
| I would separate with the '.' ... and it apears in certain programs that
| the '.' makes programs think that after the '.' that is the ext. and
| that I am saving the file incorrectly. ....
|
| Is it ok to use the '.' or should I come up with another file naming
| scheme... I do not like spaces ... just cause it does not look clean to
| me ....

It's fine to name files this way. However if a program is being pig headed
and difficult, and you have to use that program.

Suggestion: since dots _are_ generally file extension separators in UNIX
(just common use - they have no inherent meaning), switch to using dashes:

	terry-whatever-2004-12-10.txt

It's what I tend to do.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The 77's use Fender guitars & amplifiers, Paiste cymbals, Morley pedals,
and tons of other noisy, broken-down gear.  (Please send $$)
        - liner notes of "88", by the 77's