RE: Enterprise mail server

> uw-imapd is known to be dog slow when it comes to large mboxes. There
> are too many reports about it causing much CPU occupation when
> processing (high loads then). I encourage you to migrate to a
> Cyrus-IMAPd (coming with FC2 and FC3) - runs impressively fast even on
> my very old and weak AMD K6-3 450 MHz, handling 1,5 GB mail -, keeping
> Sendmail. I can not say how well SquirrelMail as a webmailer is
> performing.

That seems to be the concensus. How do you do user authentication with
Cyrus, can I interface to pam? I don’t want the users to have to have two
passwords to change.

 That can improve webmail speed a lot. As
> SquirrelMail is PHP written I recommend using the Turck MMCache which
> improves the speed of PHP applications a lot. Maybe try as an
> alternate
> to SquirrelMail the Horde framework (www.horde.org). It runs very well
> for me and there are very large mail environments were it proofed it's
> power.

The web interface is not the problem, it is IMAP that is very slow.

> > We also need more groupware type features such as file
> sharing, messaging
> > and calendaring. I am looking at Binari, Groupwise, Surgemail, and
> > opengroupware which would involve more work to implement for me.
>
> OpenGroupware is IMHO the only free application in your list. If costs
> play a role and you are able to implement and customize it to
> your need,
> then it is certainly the tool of choice.

Cost is not a problem, provided it is reasonable. I can budget $1,000 for a
35 user solution that gives me speed and ease of use with groupware
features. I would love to implement a complete groupware solution such as
groupwise, but I don’t know enough about the iptfalls, advantages, etc and
reading the spiels from the vendors just gives me a headache. It’s a shame
no-one will tell you what you want to know without the stream of verbiage
promising eternal happiness if you buy from them.

Chris