Re: BASH

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Your intention sounds a bit "obscure".

Maybe I should elaborate.

I'm currently working on a small script that typically runs for about 8 minutes. Part of what it does is set up a RAID array on a 3WARE controller and then partition that space using fdisk and then format that partition for an ext3 file system. All this takes time on a 2TB array.

While the script is executing, if I see something I want to fix or add to the script, can I emacs the script file and modify it while it is still being executed?

Operate with "debug" code like echo lines of states of used variables
and with exit instructions / codes. This will catch part 1) of your
question too. Make use of functions.

I use debug code and lots of functions already, and I have some scripts that are over 4000 lines long.

When a script exits abnormally, I'm looking for a convenient way to quickly modify the script to immediately "goto" where the last execution left off and continue on.
i.e. while setting up the drive array as previously described, if the fdisk fails for whatever reason, and the script terminates, I want to make a fix to the script to bypass the parts that already ran successfully and retry the fdisk and continue on down thru the end of the script.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx