Re: pretty printing from emacs and xemacs (FC1/FC2//FC3)

--- Deron Meranda <deron.meranda@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:12:06 -0800 (PST), Globe Trotter
> <itsme_410@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > i have had tremendous issues with pretty-print from emacs and xemacs ever
> since
> > i switched to fedora. i used to think that it was a problem with my
> printer,
> > but successive printers now have reported the same problem.
> >
> > the problem is as follows: when i pretty-print or postscript-print, i get a
> > print-out which has the headers and blank pages. only rarely does it work,
> and
> > in particular, it was rarer on FC2 and has not worked at all on FC3. does
> > anyone have a suggestion as to what i should look at, or even how to fix
> it?
>
> How customized is your emacs?  What are the values of the following
> emacs lisp variables?  (Type C-H v (control-H + v) followed by the
> name of the variable):
>
>   lpr-command
>   lpr-switches
>
> Does printing from other programs work okay.  Try using a2ps from a
> command line on a short text file and see if that looks okay.

Hi Deron,

Thanks for getting back to me! Here is my .emacs file:

 (setq TeX-default-mode 'latex-mode)
(setq text-mode-hook '(lambda ()
        (auto-fill-mode 1)(abbrev-mode 1)
        ))
(define-key esc-map "#" 'goto-line)
(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
(setq auto-save-interval 1000)
(setq ask-about-buffer-names t)
(defun rec0() (interactive)(recenter 0))
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(case-fold-search t)
 '(current-language-environment "Latin-1")
 '(default-input-method "latin-1-prefix"))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 )

The values of C-H v lpr-command is as follows:

lpr-command's value is "lpr"

Documentation:
*Name of program for printing a file.

On MS-DOS and MS-Windows systems, if the value is an empty string then
Emacs will write directly to the printer port named by `printer-name'.
The programs `print' and `nprint' (the standard print programs on
Windows NT and Novell Netware respectively) are handled specially, using
`printer-name' as the destination for output; any other program is
treated like `lpr' except that an explicit filename is given as the last
argument.

Defined in `loaddefs.el'.

The values of C-H v lpr-switches is as follows:

lpr-switches's value is nil

Documentation:
*List of strings to pass as extra options for the printer program.
It is recommended to set `printer-name' instead of including an explicit
switch on this list.
See `lpr-command'.

Defined in `loaddefs.el'.

Printing works as advertised for everything else. Using a2ps on a file looked
okay, except for the fact that two of my lines were reported to be wrapped at
the default fontsize. At the fontsize 5, it worked perfect.

Thanks and best wishes!