Re: Review of Fedora Core

On 12/03/2004 03:10:11 PM, Richard E Miles wrote:

Unfortunately udev sets the permissions for nvidia in file /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions. Change the permissions for nvidia there.

Heh - what do you know - maybe we should add a few more independent files with their own syntax that are responsible for permissions other things as well ;)

I think though that 50-udev.permissions is NOT the place to set it.
Here's why:

[mpeters@devel ~]$ grep "nvidia" /etc/security/console.perms
<dri>=/dev/nvidia* /dev/3dfx*
[mpeters@devel ~]$ grep "nvidia" /etc/udev/permissions.d/50- udev.permissions
nvidia*:root:root:0660
[mpeters@devel ~]$

nvidia's in both, I still think console.perms is the correct place -

[mpeters@devel ~]$ ls -l /dev/ |grep nvidia |head -5
crw-------   1 mpeters root   195,   0 Dec  1 16:09 nvidia0
crw-------   1 mpeters root   195,   1 Dec  1 16:09 nvidia1
crw-------   1 mpeters root   195,  10 Dec  1 16:09 nvidia10
crw-------   1 mpeters root   195, 100 Dec  1 16:09 nvidia100
crw-------   1 mpeters root   195, 101 Dec  1 16:09 nvidia101
[mpeters@devel ~]$

I'll have to read the udev documentation. I know nothing about it.
I'm just a user.

-=-
I'm guessing the person who wrote the review had the problem because they did not log all the way out, thus pam_console never did its thing.

The nvidia readme in nvidia-glx should have a bug filed against it, it is definitely wrong - whether it is udev or console.perms (I really think console.perms is the correct place), the README is wrong and gives dangerous advice. You don't chmod 0666 a device to fix an issue.