Re: Start X?

Henry Hartley wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Lyle Kopnicky
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 6:16 PM

Apparently fedorafaq.org is down... I can't even resolve the host.

I happened to cut and paste it into a file. Here's what I have (which is probably the same as the Google cache but...

   * Red Hat:
     rpm --import /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3/RPM-GPG-KEY*

   * fedora.us:
     rpm --import http://www.fedora.us/FEDORA-GPG-KEY

   * rpm.livna.org:
     rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

   * FreshRPMs:
     rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt

   * DAG:
     rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

   * ATrpms:
     rpm --import http://atrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY.atrpms

   * NewRPMs:
     rpm --import http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/gpg-pubkey-newrpms.txt

   * Dries:
     rpm --import http://apt.sw.be/dries/RPM-GPG-KEY.dries.txt

   * JPackage:
     rpm --import http://www.jpackage.org/jpackage.asc

(Thanks to Kai Thomsen for the original location of the ATrpms key,
and thanks to Tom Householder for the new location! Thanks to Pim
Rupert for the location of the Dries key. Thanks to Anduin Withers
for a good idea about how to reorganize this question.)

However, using the page cached by Google, I found the examples of
key files.  I arbitrarily chose the first one, typing:

   rpm --import /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3/RPM-GPG-KEY

Then I was able to run 'yum install xorg-x11', which chugged along,
until I got some errors like:

public key not available for [snip]

Do I need to install another public key for each package?  How do
I know what public key to use for each one?

Not so much each package but each repository. Look in /etc/yum.conf
or more likely in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and see what repositories are
listed. You'll want to install the keys for those.

Well, looking in /etc/yum.repos.d/, I see:

   fedora-devel.repo   fedora-updates.repo
   fedora.repo      fedora-updates-testing.repo

Do I need a key for each of those four repositories? I've imported both the Red Hat and fedora.us keys you specified above, yet on attempting to 'yum install xorg-x11', I still get errors like:

public key not available for //var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/xorg-x11-6.8.1-12.FC3.21.i386.rpm

So, what key do I need for this package? How do I know what repository it's trying to retrieve it from?

Thanks,
Lyle