Re: GNOME Themes won't install

Steve Fink wrote:

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 20:53 -0700, Scott wrote:

After looking at

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/
http://art.gnome.org/faq.php
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&q=gnome+themes+install&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&q=gnome+themes+install+2.8&btnG=Google+Search

and coming up empty,  I'm asking anyone here for help.

No matter how I try to install GNOME themes (Fedora Core 3, GNOME 2.8) I end up with nothing but the defaults (that came with FC3) to choose from. I've tried doing it via the themes applet with no luck. So then then I tried tried untarring the theme in my ~/.themes directory (as suggested by the above mentioned FAQ).

Nothing has worked. The above mentioned directory is filled with themes (all from art.gnome.org) but none of them are showing up in the themes applet and therefore, I'm unable to install them...

This is my third FC3 install from the past few months. On my last one I managed to get the themes recognized by copying them to the /usr/share/themes folder where the default ones (the only ones that show up in the theme manager) are. That seems a bit extreme.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Scott

Scott,

From my experience I just simply drag the tar.gz file from my home
directory and drop it on the themes preferences window.

Then click on Theme Details and you can change the Window
Border/Controls/Icons.

I believe I have the best luck with themes that are written for GTK2.0
and Metacity. Sometimes I have to install two themes and use the Window
Borders from one and the Controls from another and the Icons from a
third to make it look just the way I want it.

None of that has worked for me. I've never had this problem with other distros. Just FC3.....