Sound: Ensoniq Sondscape config

Sorry for asking about old, obscure hardware, but here goes.
I have an "Ensoniq Soundscape VIVO 90" ISA sound card. From what I have seen,
It can be made to work fairly well on linux. I just don't know how to do it.

First, should I compile it as a module or build it in the kernel?

Next, what configuration files will need to be edited. I think I can get the
modprobe.conf right. Is there anything else?

The card is shown in /proc/sys, with all the different resource settings.
I have tried to echo the right things to the sys files to enable it, as
outlined in the kernel docs, but it still says it is disabled.

I am still in the process of installing FC3, so I can't try things yet. :(
Also, where can I find some documentation about the sys filesystem and other
driver basics ( in english, not C )?

Thanks