Re: OpenOffice ridiculously slow to start on FC3

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2004 22:37 schrieb John Lagrue:
> This has been raised before but I have a bad problem with OO on FC3. I
> start it...the banner appears and the blue progress bar quickly goes
> across to 100% - and then nothing happens for at least 5 minutes.

I had the same problem, 5-10 minutes, sometimes never.... Somebody mentioned
that it might be a network thing, that OO is waiting for a network
connection. I found the following suggestions:
- under options-Internet set the proxy to None
- do you have a network printer installed? If so, make a dummy local printer
and set that as default.

As somebody else mentioned:
- comment out all dictionaries that you don't need in
in /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst

Unfortunately, all these suggestions didn't improve anything. It did get a bit
better after I removed and reinstalled the rpms, but it's still terribly
slow.

Hopefully the next release will be much faster. There are snapshot rpms for
the development version on the openoffice webpage
(http://download.openoffice.org/index.html). They don't conflict with the
existing OO1.1. but install a separate copy of OO 1.9. This version is really
much faster (and uses less memory), but of course it's development and more
risky.

Hope that helps
Stephan