Problems remotely changing IP address of second NIC

I am wondering if anyone knows what i am doing wrong.   This has been
bothering me for months.  I have a Fedora Core 2 machine in another
city that i monitor remotely.  It has 2 NICS.  One of them is
connected to a LAN and has an IP address always.  I use this to ssh
into the box on a daily basis.  The other card is in promiscuous mode
with no IP address and sniffs traffic from a DMZ.  (if you haven't
guessed yet its a snort box).     Every once and a while there comes a
need for me to give the card on the DMZ an IP address temporarily.

This is what i do:

1) I SSH into to the LAN CARD, become root.
2) I then use system-config-network-gui though the ssh connection to
get a nice gui from the remote machine.
3) There is no DHCP server on the DMZ so i give it a static address on
the same subnet, set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway
to the correct default gateway.
4) I then apply changes and activate the card.

At this point it kicks me out.  It makes sense on some level that it
would kick me out because   the applet is restarting the network
service.   My problem however is that i can no longer get  back onto
my machine.  on either card!!!   I also know why i wouldn't be able to
get into the DMZ card since I'm not on the DMZ, but why does my LAN
card stop accepting ping or anything else.

Is there something i am doing wrong?   Is there a better more
effective way accomplish what i am doing?

Thanks for all your help,
Seth

P.S   I know the temp static IP, default gateway and subnet mask that
i am giving the card  are fine because the same numbers work on a
windows machine.